Lydia Palaiologou | New Student

Hello, I’m Lydia Palaiologou. I’m from Athens, Greece. I got my BA in Art Theory and History from the Athens School of Fine Arts, my first MA in Art Studies at the University of Amsterdam, and my second MA in Linguistics also at the University of Amsterdam. My first MA thesis was on Wittgensteinian grammar and color terms across the world’s languages. Although I always had a strong interest in linguistics, this thesis was what made me decide to actually study it. I am now very excited to be studying it at UConn, surrounded by so many smart and interesting people.

My main research interests are language acquisition and development and sign languages (including established sign languages, rural sign languages, and homesign). Other interests of mine include language processing, gesture processing, and syntax. I am also currently cultivating an interest in formal semantics.

Besides studying, I love listening to music, watching movies (mostly old ones), reading, kickboxing, and watching Youtube videos on prehistoric animals.